Skip to main content

Kindle vs. Nook

Wow... another birthday is fast approaching and as is customary for my wonderful, awesome, out-of-this-world husband, I could pick anything I wanted to get. Well, this year I wanted a Kindle. This wasn't a willy-nilly decision. I've spent about a year mulling over whether or not to even convert to an e-reader. My concern was the strain on my eyes and, well, I wouldn't be reading real books anymore. There's something so organic with the look and feel of books... even the smell cannot be replaced. But thanx to a Kindle demo done by my sister, I got over that fast. THE SCREEN LOOKS LIKE THE REAL THING!!! She also purchased a super special cover (I'll be going into that quite a bit in a sec) that REALLY helped me decide to venture into the digital world of reading. And when I said a moment ago that I will not be reading real books anymore, I mean it. With the $200-$400* pricetag on these e-readers, the 'ORGANIZATIONAL' aspect of this item was a huge driving factor on my decision. You don't go spending that kind of money if you don't intend on replacing pricey books AND the furniture to house them. For me, NOT filling bookshelves (and having to clean them) is just SO attractive. Just about the only book that I WON'T be replacing is my Bible. That's only because NO E-READER IN THE WORLD can simulate the Bible reading experience. Well with THAT business out of way... why did I choose The Kindle?

Yes, it's true, the Barnes and Noble Nook has some pretty great and functional features that The Kindle does not have. One of those features being that you can share books. That's a pretty valuable feature. Another great feature (at least for me anyway because I spend quite a bit of time at Barnes and Noble) is that I can "pull" any book off the e-shelf and read it for free while I'm in the store...only with The Nook. No longer do you have to leave the reading chair that took you an hour to find to put a book back only to return to your seat and it's gone. Also, the digital color display on the bottom of the e-reader might be an attraction for some, but was more of a distraction for me. Finally, the screen on The Nook DOES appear to be slightly bigger to me, over the screen on The Kindle, but The Kindle's screen also appears to be slightly more crisp. The screen alone was not a deal breaker for me.

The deal breaker: Going back to the loss of reading real books, The Kindle has an option of "locking" the e-reader into a case. And for me... a leather case. DING, DING, DING! The makers of The Kindle BRILLIANTLY thought to integrate the e-reader into a case making the reader itself be a "page" so when you "open" your e-book, fold the case cover back and hold it in your hand, it feels like the real book-reading experience. Add to that brilliance the fact that my case is leather and I can ALMOST pretend I have a real book in my hand. Even the timing on the page turn mimics the rhythm of actual page turning. The Nook takes a bit longer, and for me that made a difference.

So, while The Nook certainly has more value-added features and a smaller price tag, something seemingly simple and VERY aesthetic won me over in the end. But honestly, either way you go with an e-reader, it makes perfect sense to this reader for no other reason than the cost savings on books and the space savings with less stuff to have to dust! Woo Hoo... no more bookshelves! Guess who will be taking an ENTIRE LIBRARY with her on vacation this year packed in the size of a small paperback???

* The only other e-reader that I know about is made by Sony. This reader has never seen one in person and didn't want to when I found out the screen on it is back lit, therefore, the Sony was not included in this comparison.

***I did however see, hold and use The Kindle (my sister's) and The Nook (at Barnes and Noble).
UPDATE: I may have spoken too soon... THERE'S MORE YOU PROBABLY SHOULD KNOW.

Comments

Lois Lee said…
I really enjoyed your comments regarding "Kindle vs Nook". It was very informational and I think I will buy a Kindle. Thanks for the 411!

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Christmas Give Away

Ok gang! This is my second post for the day, but I thought it was important to get this one started as soon as possible!!! For the upcoming Christmas season, I'm giving away THREE Disney Cricut cartridges. These cartridges were not donated to this blog, I purchased all of these cartridges to give away. My followers are THE BEST and I wanted to give away something really nice for the holiday season. This is only open to those who appear on this blog's follower list, so if you're not one of my beloved followers, please become one (and I'm almost to 400 woo hoo!!!). All you have to do to enter to win these super fun Disney cartridges is share this give away with others. You can post it on your blog, shout it out on Facebook and Twitter, post the announcement in a message community or do all of the above. Then, leave a comment on this post letting me know where you shared and an email address to contact you. This will be open until December 11th and I will post the winne...

Back In The Saddle

Well, here I am! Back after a hard couple of weeks, but I'm thrilled to have such an AWESOME crafty diversion (I REALLY needed it too)! So Make It Colourful is running a pretty cool challenge this week to create a monochromatic/vintage/photo project, click HERE to check out the details for the challenge and to see what the rest of the design team turned out (the projects are AMAZING!!!). My project has that dreamy, Victorian feel to it featuring The Greeting Farm's Freaky Flutter digi as well as Make It Crafty's Open Window digi . For those who do not know, Make It Crafty's blog has THE BEST tutorials! To see how to layer two digis (like the two I'm featuring here), check out Make It Crafty's How To Use Your Make it Crafty Digital Stamps in MS Word video tutorial. For this project I also mixed the neutral, warm and cool grey Copic Markers... I've never done THAT before! I thought it ended up being a pretty neat effect. Everywhere I envisioned there would...