Skip to main content

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

My first attempt at Stuffed Cabbage Rolls for dinner last night.... SUCCESS!!! These beauties were yummy! And I have the ladies over at Skinny Scoopers to thank for it!

About a week ago they posted a healthy recipe for these awesome rolls. And while their recipe looked VERY good... OF COURSE I altered it a bit. I ended up with an amazingly flavorful dish that I THINK might be even less calories than the recipe posted at Skinny Scoopers. So, I thought I would post my recipe and then direct everyone here to check out the link above to see the ORIGINAL recipe.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 heads of green cabbage (1 head if very large)
  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion (chopped)
  • 3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked)
  • 1/4 cup Egg Beaters
  • 1 Tbsp McKay's Beef Style Seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
  • 3/4 cup vegetable broth

Brown the turkey with the onion and garlic, set aside to cool. Remove all outer leaves from your cabbage. In a large stockpot, cover the cabbage leaves with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes, drain, CAREFULLY rinse with cold water to stop cooking and set aside.

Combine diced tomatoes, broth, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Add just enough of this combination back to stockpot to cover the bottom. Reserve the rest.

In a separate large mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients. Divide the turkey filling among the cabbage leaves, carefully wrapping all contents safely & snugly inside (I did not remove the thick portion of the cabbage leaf. Instead, I STARTED by putting my filling there and rolling toward the outer edge of the leaf being sure to fold in my sides for a tight roll. The rolls turned out great! I was so impressed with myself!). Place rolls atop the layer of tomato sauce in stockpot, then pour remaining tomato sauce on top.

Put stockpot back on stove top and turn heat to medium high. Once bubbling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes. I don't know exactly what the calorie count is with this meal, but the Skinny Scoopers version was made with beef so I'm guessing these will be significantly less being made with the turkey. I'll try to input my ingredients for a calorie count later next week. In the meantime, enjoy these babies. They are AWESOME!!! Thanx Skinny Scoopers... you guys ROCK and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog! :)

Comments

Past 7 Days....

Burton-weenie Release Day 2

Today is day 2 of the Burton-weenie release for Simply Betty Stamps.  I'm kind of slackin today as I didn't create a card to show, but you DON'T want to miss the A-M-A-Z-I-N-G work the rest of the Dolls made!!!  I'm serious!  This stuff on day two blew me away!!!! So head over to The Burtonesque Dolls and show some love.... you'll be glad you did!  They ROCKED day 2.  Tune in tomorrow for day 3 of the Burton-weenie release, that one's pretty good too.  Psssst... I made a really cute one!  LOL!  ;) **As I said yesterday, all of the images from this line will be available for sale at Simply Betty Stamps on Friday, but feel free to check out all the other COOL stuff by clicking HERE .

It's A Great Day For A White Wedding

It has been sooooo long since I've designed with the wonderful ladies of Paper Vineyard's design team!  Getting back on the designing wagon has suddenly come so easy to me over the past couple of days or so... I've been designing up a storm.  Part of the reason for the sudden burst of creativity came from this little gem pictured below!  Just a little warning here... this post is VERY pic heavy!!!  Yep!  It's the DCWV Immortal Love stack I told you all about the other day (inspired by the Twilight Saga movies).  So with Breaking Dawn coming out later this year, the Wedding theme for today's challenge over at Paper Vineyard was SUPER easy.  I can clearly imagine what wedding goodies Edward and Bella would put together, what their wedding colors would be, etc.  Well, now you can see how this one just sort of made itself!  hahahahahahha! So my creation is the CD jacket for a wedding photo compilation; the template is...

Burton-weenies Sneak Peak Day 3!

Ok, so along with the sneak peek of the new releases (coming this Friday... I can't wait!), TODAY the Dolls are having a little challenge with Ellanor:  PUT ME IN A BURTON MOVIE!!!  Well, hopefully you can tell that I turned the new Ellanor stamp, from the upcoming Burton-weenies line, into Lydia from Beetle Juice (click on pic to enlarge)!!!  But I couldn't just stop there!!!  Our guest DT's played a little with Ellanor, so I had to have my fun too!  Check it out! I am DIGGIN this new line!!!!  I mean really... aren't these just so hip and cool?!?  Be sure to head over to The Burtonesque Dolls for more inspiration with the new Ellanor Burton-weenie and to get the deets on this challenge!!!  And join us tomorrow for more Burton-weenie-sneak-peek fun!