Skip to main content

OOOO, See! Not Just An Obsession!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a shoe lover. I am not addicted to purses or clothes. I do, however, have a very strong pension for sunglasses. And it turns out that this love will serve to protect my eyes in the future. So, doesn't that work out nicely? Unlike purses and shoes that potentially put strain on the back, my obsession will actually enhance my overall health. All the more reason to run out and snag that pair of Coach sunglasses I've been salivating over! Here is the article I will be citing to justify all future "optical protection" purchases. The article can be found at http://bodyforlife.com/exercise/articles.asp.

For Your Health: How to protect your eyes.
By Victoria Freeman
Sunglasses—more than just a fashion statement

Q: I can’t seem to keep up with sunglasses. I either break or lose them as fast as I buy them. Are they really that important for eye protection?


A: Sounds like you need to come up with a retention plan! And in answer to your question, yes they are important for eye health. Sunglasses protect your eyes by enhancing your natural light-filtering capabilities and by blocking the sun’s damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays. There are two types of UV rays: UVA and UVB. Both can do serious damage to your skin, but it’s the UVA rays that are linked to impaired vision. According to the American Academy of Opthamology (www.aao.org), long-term, cumulative exposure increases the risk of disorders like cataracts and macular degeneration. Like you’ve probably heard for skin protection, UV rays are the strongest between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., so be extra cautious then, even in overcast weather.

Here are a few tips to consider when selecting your next eye gear.
*Look for a statement about how much UV radiation the lenses block. Go for 99 to 100
percent of both UVA and UVB rays.
*Since sunlight can still come through the top or sides of your glasses, it’s also a good idea
to wear a visor or wide-brimmed hat and pick a sunglasses style that wraps around your face.
*Different colored lenses may be better for different activities. For example, gray lenses are
ideal for driving as they don’t distort primary colors (like traffic signs and signals). Brown-
tinted lenses can sharpen detail and reduce glare so they’re good for outdoor sports, and
green lenses are good for cloudy conditions.
*Dark tinting doesn’t necessarily mean better protection. UV barrier coating is invisible and
therefore unrelated to lens darkness or color. As a matter of fact, dark lenses that don’t
carry UV protection may be the worst of all because your pupils have to dilate to adjust to
reduced light, which, in turn, allows in even more UV radiation.

Ok everyone! There's some really good information... here's to YOUR healthy eyes!

Comments

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Christmas Give Away

Ok gang! This is my second post for the day, but I thought it was important to get this one started as soon as possible!!! For the upcoming Christmas season, I'm giving away THREE Disney Cricut cartridges. These cartridges were not donated to this blog, I purchased all of these cartridges to give away. My followers are THE BEST and I wanted to give away something really nice for the holiday season. This is only open to those who appear on this blog's follower list, so if you're not one of my beloved followers, please become one (and I'm almost to 400 woo hoo!!!). All you have to do to enter to win these super fun Disney cartridges is share this give away with others. You can post it on your blog, shout it out on Facebook and Twitter, post the announcement in a message community or do all of the above. Then, leave a comment on this post letting me know where you shared and an email address to contact you. This will be open until December 11th and I will post the winne...

Inking Pink Blog Hop

Hi Hoppers! Danielle, a.k.a. FitterTwit here.... so glad you made it!!! If you're mid-hop, you should be arriving here from Chelsea's blog . Was that a great project or what!?! If you're just joining us and need to start the hop from the beginning, you're gonna want to head over to our lovely Hop Hostess Patricia's blog to start the fun here on our VERY IMPORTANT Inking Pink Blog Hop! Here's to Breast Cancer Awareness!!! My project for this hop is a reminder card..."Remember your checkups!" What a wonderful way to say "I love you" to a dear friend or family member. Now you may not be able to see it in the pic above, but I altered The Greeting Farm's Ebony so that her tee shirt reads, "Say YES to Mammograms!" So, today I wanted to share HOW I added the words to her tee. First I printed the words as small as I could and still be able to read the message using my laser printer onto the paper that I would be using to color in my im...