Skip to main content

Pinching Pennies... My Cheats

Pinching pennies and need a little something?
About three or four times a year Michaels comes out with some INCREDIBLE coupons. It is during these times that I stock up on 'gift' items. I usually purchase lamination machines or bead kits or scrapbook kits that are normally $50+ for half that, sometimes less. I then stockpile these items in my closet for those occasions when I'm in dire need of a special gift for a special person but I'm in between paychecks or I just plum forgot. I also pick these particular items on Black Friday (capitalized due to the fact that Black Friday is a holiday unto itself at my house) with coupons and deep discounts. While everyone is scampering for the large ticket items to buy for themselves, I'm picking items under $100 to stock up for others. If you haven't enjoyed the crazed frenzy of a Black Friday, you really MUST pencil yourself in for this year. There's nothing in the world like Black Friday! LOL.

I also recycle wrapping paper. As with the gift pictured here, I keep wrapping papers to reuse. Whether it be for wrapping another gift or for matting a picture on a scrapbook page, my recycled papers come in handy and help to pinch those pennies.

My final money saver is my Cricut. I know that sounds weird, but the gift tag pictured above also doubled as my birthday card and got the most attention at the birthday party I just attended. I used my Cricut, my Hello Kitty Greetings cartridge, scrap cardstock from my "scraps" bin and my Xyron sticker maker. Again, stuff like this sure comes in handy when you're in between paychecks. I set my size on 2" and cut "Happy Birthday" in the pink, I then chose the shadow option and cut the shadow for "Happy Birthday" in the pink and dark brown. I glued those two pieces together using the Xyron Sticker maker. The dark side would be the matte for "Happy Birthday" and the pink side is where I wrote my own personal message to the birthday girl. Finally, I selected the option to cut each individual letter of "Happy Birthday" and cut it in dark pink. I glued those letters on, punched a hole, threaded the ribbon through the hole and I was done. Complete card in 15 minutes! Thank goodness, because I just didn't have the cash to run out and buy a greeting card and gift tag. My Cricut has saved me a ton of money as time has gone by with cards and gifts and will continue to save me even more money the longer I use it. Here is a Christmas gift that I made last year...

This project was done by cutting out the lettering in vinyl and then using it as a stencil for glass paint. I then applied a clear sealer and baked to seal the paint and make the mug dishwasher safe. I was able to create multiple personalized mugs for under $20 and I STILL have supplies left for this year. SOOOO FUN! Here's to pinching pennies in the most heart-felt way! :)
For more great project ideas, check out http://cuttingabove.blogspot.com/
*** I got a TON of pull bows (like the one pictured on the gift) REALLY cheap at http://mygirlfriendshouse.com/. I don't know if they still carry that particular style/color, but I wanted to post the link.

Comments

Past 7 Days....

My Favorite Things Birthday Give-Away!!!

IT IS ON! Ok... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! I get to give stuff away! And not just ANY stuff.... MY FAVORITE STUFF!!!! Well, not ALL my favorite stuff, but certainly my favorites for at least ONE of my obsessions: NAILS!!! Maybe next year for my birthday I will be giving away craft supplies and exercise equipment... that would be AWESOME!!! But, this year's birthday give-away is HUGE with my favorite nail and beauty products and is open to ALL my followers. You guys are the best and deserve the best, so here is what ONE lucky winner is going to score: The Prize Haul: Konad Nail Art Stamping Set - Coraline I (I am addicted to Konad and I LOVE this set) Konad Nail art image disc - M63 (A little something extra from Kathleen... thank you) Fragrance Oil Set, types: China Rain, White Linen, Obsession (I love these for my relaxing baths) Nail Aid Nail Treatment Set including: Pink Natural Growth Therapy, Instant Wrap, Clear Liquid Bandage, Cuticle Cure, Peeling Nail Intense Repai...

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Back In The Saddle

Well, here I am! Back after a hard couple of weeks, but I'm thrilled to have such an AWESOME crafty diversion (I REALLY needed it too)! So Make It Colourful is running a pretty cool challenge this week to create a monochromatic/vintage/photo project, click HERE to check out the details for the challenge and to see what the rest of the design team turned out (the projects are AMAZING!!!). My project has that dreamy, Victorian feel to it featuring The Greeting Farm's Freaky Flutter digi as well as Make It Crafty's Open Window digi . For those who do not know, Make It Crafty's blog has THE BEST tutorials! To see how to layer two digis (like the two I'm featuring here), check out Make It Crafty's How To Use Your Make it Crafty Digital Stamps in MS Word video tutorial. For this project I also mixed the neutral, warm and cool grey Copic Markers... I've never done THAT before! I thought it ended up being a pretty neat effect. Everywhere I envisioned there would...