Skip to main content

One Man's Lazy Is Another Man's Efficient

I have never really thought of myself as a movie or dvd collector until one day I woke up and had over 250 movies (in their cases) that needed a home. Those dvds sure do take up a lot of space! Well, because I'm always looking for ways to utilize verticle space (meaning that I love to put everything up on walls) I decided that it was time to invest in a dvd storage tower. "How many does the tower hold?" I couldn't find a single one that held more than 200 dvds and I certainly didn't want to line my walls with dvd towers. Enter the Discgear Auto Select 100!

This little baby is somethin!!! It's about as big as a loaf of bread and holds 100 dvds. Each dvd is assigned a number that corresponds to the 'on board' catalog so you can always find what you are looking for in seconds. This magical invention has saved me so much time and so much space... I now own 8 that organizes all my computer programs, music cds, audio books and of course... movies!

Oh, but wait everyone! It gets better! While these wonderful selectors are also conveniently stackable and the perfect size for transport (there's nothing like easily packing 100 movies to take with you on vacation), I just discovered that they are the perfect size to fit the IKEA Expedit book shelves. Tah-Dah!

That is a PERFECT fit if I ever saw one! I no longer have to worry about stacking them... cuz I hate having to 'unstack' them to get to a particular movie. That's not lazy, that's efficient! LOL! The shelving unit is beautiful while also being multifunctional as it not only holds my movies, but books, nic-nacs and magazines. I even have two beautiful baskets for the 'hide away' storing that I also love to do! Check it out! -->

I have a total of three Discgear Auto Selectors (one per shelf) for my movies with plenty of room to store books behind and it looks great. I marked each selector A, B or C and keep a separate, alphabetized master catalog. Example: A54 is Transformers and C54 is Iron Man. This allows me to keep all my movies in alphabetical order on the master catalog even though my discs can be found in any of the three Discgear holders. The best part is if I should decide that my movie collecting will get out of hand, I can always expand the shelving to create more space at the same time add more Discgear Auto Selectors without disrupting the cataloging. I am an organizing MACHINE!!!!
BONUS: Because of the magic of IKEA, I was able to get rid of a 'single use' piece of furniture and replace it with a VERY ATTRACTIVE multi-use piece of furniture that took up the exact same amount of vertical space. And if you look closely at my pics, you'll see my Discgear Selector 50 on top that holds my Karaoke cds. Don't laugh those are important! But notice that the Selector 50 is not square like the Auto Selects and therefore not stackable. Also, for those of you wondering what the IKEA expansion pieces look like (cuz I'm all about the visual), here you go:
If you put one Disgear Auto Selector on each shelf, that would be 1600 movies you could collect and store beautifully with still plenty of room to store books. That is some serious space saving and some serious Feng Shui if you ask me!!!! IKEA ROCKS!!!

Comments

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Blog Hop

YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!  IT'S HERE!!!  Breaking Dawn pt. 2 opens today and we're kicking the fun off with a Twilight Breaking Dawn Blog Hop!!!!  You should be arriving from Kelli's blog.  Isn't her tag AWESOME!?!?!   If you're just now joining the hop, you WILL want to start the hop at the beginning... trust me, you don't want to miss anything from this group of talented ladies.  Here's the whole hop list: Alison Laura Rebecca Kelli ME<== You Are HERE!!! Sugar Stephanie And now for MY project.... BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY BLOG CANDY AT THE END!!! Here's my Twilighty keepsake box!!!  I had an absolute BLAST making this box and will be using it to hold all my pictures from Forks and La Push as well as pics from the various premiere parties I've attended/hosted over the years. This originally started out as a faux book box.  I painted the spine black using acrylic paint and covered the rest using paper from the DCWV Immortal Love

The BEST Copic Storage

**** HUGE HALLOWEEN GIVE AWAY... CLICK HERE !!!!**** Ok, so I've done posts in the past about various Copic storage solutions, but I was given THE MOTHER of all storage ideas by my friends Jennie Black and Krista Koenig!!!   Let me share with you the construction of the storage box and then I'll finish this off with the BRILLIANT solution my husband came up with.... cuz I married a GENIUS!!! What you'll need to create the AWESOME storage box pictured here is: 1 Double Deep Art Bin 1 plastic grid for ceiling lighting (found at your local home improvement store) 1 half inch thick wooden square dowel (also found at your local home improvement store) Dimensional adhesive squares Wire cutters or sheers Screws with corresponding drill bit Drill So I first cut the ceiling grid down to 19 squares by 19 squares using my wire cutters.   You will need two 19 x 19 sections of grid material.   The wire cutters went through the plastic material of the grid like butter and I