Skip to main content

Good Eggs

Well.... yesterday was THE BEST DAY EVER!!!  Not only did I score AMAZING card kits from Dove Art Studio's class yesterday, but I also got to hang out with some of my favorite people!!!  Now, truth be told, I spent just about the entire day (off and on) coloring the images you see pictured.   I don't typically spend that kind of time coloring three cards, but I was working on coloring the standard "Copic" method of coloring and it was HARD for me to change up my order of application, pressure, etc.  It was almost like I was a beginner all over again!!!  I really got a taste of what my coloring students go through. 

So....here are three things to keep in mind when you sit down to color with alcohol ink markers:

1.  Know YOUR mechanics and the mechanics of the pens.  Alcohol ink is like no other medium I can think of.  The blendability of this ink is AWESOME but if you try too hard, you will not get the best these markers have to give.  That means learning and practicing key things... when to apply light pressure, when to apply harder pressure and at what angle to the paper to keep your marker nib for various strokes.

2.  Swatch your colors.  Picking your colors is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of enjoyable coloring with alcohol ink.  For example, you pick three greens (light, medium and dark) that don't blend well together, you are going to be working very hard, not getting the desired result, wasting ink and overall not having a very fun time coloring.  Also, BECAUSE of our own mechanics and how we hold our pens, the amount of pressure we apply when coloring, etc. certain colors won't blend for us like they do for others.  That is perfectly fine... there are so many wonderful colors to choose from that taking the few extra seconds to swatch your colors (making sure they blend well beforehand) will save you all that time and frustration in the end and make your time coloring fun and relaxing.  All alcohol ink markers (that I know of) group their markers into "blending groups" or "families" which are subcategories for the various colors.  That certainly helps when picking colors to color with, so if you don't know what greens you need, just ask an instructor or customer service at your local art store.

3.  When you practice, pick images you really like when you color!  I ADORE these "Antics" Dustin Pike images!!!  The whole time I was coloring these oh-so-cute ants, no matter how frustrated I got with myself, I always came back to the image and smiled.  It also helped that all the ladies I hung out with yesterday ALSO went gaga for them.  That kind of excitement is certainly infectious and created a definite interest by on-lookers which motivated me to get these cards done.  Yep, liking your subject matter makes a difference.

Well, that about does it.  I think I'm about ready for a nap (I was coloring until 1 a.m.).  Thanks to Jenn and to Vanessa and JoDean.... you guys made yesterday SOOOO AWESOME.  You are good eggs.  LOL!

P.S.  Deb and Patti, I'm so sorry that I didn't get more time to chat with you guys.... it was SOOOOO great seeing you and I plan on bumping into you more at Stamp Works for the Saturday make n' takes!!!

Comments

Those cards are CUTEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Glad you had fun!
franzesjoi said…
il keep this on my mind*** haven't tried to colour on my entire craft life... :) you make me love the antss.. sooo adorable...
Audrey Frelx said…
Love your cards, they are adorable!

Thanks for the alcohol ink marker tips!
These came out so good! Your coloring is truly amazing!
Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Christmas Give Away

Ok gang! This is my second post for the day, but I thought it was important to get this one started as soon as possible!!! For the upcoming Christmas season, I'm giving away THREE Disney Cricut cartridges. These cartridges were not donated to this blog, I purchased all of these cartridges to give away. My followers are THE BEST and I wanted to give away something really nice for the holiday season. This is only open to those who appear on this blog's follower list, so if you're not one of my beloved followers, please become one (and I'm almost to 400 woo hoo!!!). All you have to do to enter to win these super fun Disney cartridges is share this give away with others. You can post it on your blog, shout it out on Facebook and Twitter, post the announcement in a message community or do all of the above. Then, leave a comment on this post letting me know where you shared and an email address to contact you. This will be open until December 11th and I will post the winne...

Back In The Saddle

Well, here I am! Back after a hard couple of weeks, but I'm thrilled to have such an AWESOME crafty diversion (I REALLY needed it too)! So Make It Colourful is running a pretty cool challenge this week to create a monochromatic/vintage/photo project, click HERE to check out the details for the challenge and to see what the rest of the design team turned out (the projects are AMAZING!!!). My project has that dreamy, Victorian feel to it featuring The Greeting Farm's Freaky Flutter digi as well as Make It Crafty's Open Window digi . For those who do not know, Make It Crafty's blog has THE BEST tutorials! To see how to layer two digis (like the two I'm featuring here), check out Make It Crafty's How To Use Your Make it Crafty Digital Stamps in MS Word video tutorial. For this project I also mixed the neutral, warm and cool grey Copic Markers... I've never done THAT before! I thought it ended up being a pretty neat effect. Everywhere I envisioned there would...