Skip to main content

Stitch Happy

So, I've owned my sewing machine for better than 10 years, unused. I take that back, I used it once, realized that I wasn't immediately good at it and then stuck it in storage never to think of it again. Prior to getting my sewing machine as a Christmas present I was convinced that I wanted to make my own clothes. I envisioned the pride and joy of shopping for new and trendy patterns and then constructing the perfect outfit to show off to all my jealous friends.... that vision disappeared the minute I plugged in my new sewing machine. I mean COME ON, all of the sales people (INCLUDING that overly perky chick on HSN) said that the machine would basically run itself. LIARS! Not only do you have to run it, but a person could lose a solid inch on the length of a sleeve with a line of stitching that isn't perfectly straight.

Enter paper crafting.... the thing that brought my sewing machine out of the deep, dark recesses of my closet after more than 10 years. Sewing on cards did you say? Scrapbook layouts too? OOOOO, NOW I'm interested, and sew I did. Now, I haven't done a ton of sewing on my paper crafts, but I've done enough to discover that sewing really is fun.... well, as an artistic embellishment anyway. I've found that content determines how carefully I sew on my projects (and how careful determines how long I will be sewing too... hahahaha). The card featured here (click on the pic to enlarge) was created for The Town Scrapper's Monday Showcase. I used one of my favorite stamps from one of my favorite stamp lines: Kraftin Kimmie Stamps. Since the image is so whimsical, my stitches didn't need to be so clean and structured... and thank goodness! Cuz I'm not a real clean and structured kind of girl! It's almost as if the uneven lines and broken stitches matches the features of this little "Lillith" stamp.

If you too have a sewing machine that's collecting dust, pull it out and try using it to embellish your paper crafting. You might find the fun of sewing has nothing to do with creating a wardrobe! And to see more awesome cards, be sure to check out the AMAZING design team creations over at The Town Scrapper blog. The Town Scrapper carries all of my favorite stamps. If you see anything you just gotta have, you can email the owner Phebe at info@townscrapper.com, and look for her upcoming online store. We are ALL psyched about it!!! :)

Comments

Ann said…
I love my sewing machine!! Great card, love her, she's so cute.
Tricia said…
Thanks so much for your comment Danielle! Yes, I had picked-up Emilia from Phebe late last week and couldn't wait to ink her up. Thought this showcase would be the perfect opportunity as the challenge prize is also a Kraftin' Kimmie. I love your KK card and your post has got me thinking I should pull out the crafting sewing machine I bought last year and have only used a few times. :)

Past 7 Days....

My Favorite Things Birthday Give-Away!!!

IT IS ON! Ok... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! I get to give stuff away! And not just ANY stuff.... MY FAVORITE STUFF!!!! Well, not ALL my favorite stuff, but certainly my favorites for at least ONE of my obsessions: NAILS!!! Maybe next year for my birthday I will be giving away craft supplies and exercise equipment... that would be AWESOME!!! But, this year's birthday give-away is HUGE with my favorite nail and beauty products and is open to ALL my followers. You guys are the best and deserve the best, so here is what ONE lucky winner is going to score: The Prize Haul: Konad Nail Art Stamping Set - Coraline I (I am addicted to Konad and I LOVE this set) Konad Nail art image disc - M63 (A little something extra from Kathleen... thank you) Fragrance Oil Set, types: China Rain, White Linen, Obsession (I love these for my relaxing baths) Nail Aid Nail Treatment Set including: Pink Natural Growth Therapy, Instant Wrap, Clear Liquid Bandage, Cuticle Cure, Peeling Nail Intense Repai...

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Back In The Saddle

Well, here I am! Back after a hard couple of weeks, but I'm thrilled to have such an AWESOME crafty diversion (I REALLY needed it too)! So Make It Colourful is running a pretty cool challenge this week to create a monochromatic/vintage/photo project, click HERE to check out the details for the challenge and to see what the rest of the design team turned out (the projects are AMAZING!!!). My project has that dreamy, Victorian feel to it featuring The Greeting Farm's Freaky Flutter digi as well as Make It Crafty's Open Window digi . For those who do not know, Make It Crafty's blog has THE BEST tutorials! To see how to layer two digis (like the two I'm featuring here), check out Make It Crafty's How To Use Your Make it Crafty Digital Stamps in MS Word video tutorial. For this project I also mixed the neutral, warm and cool grey Copic Markers... I've never done THAT before! I thought it ended up being a pretty neat effect. Everywhere I envisioned there would...