Skip to main content

Meet Drill Sergeant Dan

I hope that my story doesn't make anyone squirm, but I lost weight by having an alter ego. Anyone who really knows me could have told you that it was bound to come to this. Like some of you reading this, I'm completely insane. I just embraced it to get to my weight loss goal. For those of you reading who aren't insane, I'm gonna make you change your mind... literally.

For years I could not get this excess weight off. It was driving me crazy (pardon the pun) hearing everyone say, "we all know what to do, it's just a question of doing it." If that were the case, then why was diet and exercise an $80 billion business? Why were we paying people to tell us what we already know? We aren't paying them for that! We pay them to help us with the doing. I am just so leery of anyone telling me that they will teach me how to eat... and paying them for it! I think that is why Nutrisystem didn't work for me. It was time to get to the doing, something I knew I couldn't do alone and couldn't afford to pay for, so I allowed someone in. Drill Sergeant Dan! I have an alter ego and the last thing I 'knew' before my lifestyle changed was that I was going to give Drill Sergeant Dan a life and power. This is not an unfamiliar phenomenon; people do this every day as a mechanism to deal with bad things that happen in their life (Sybil). So why would it be so unheard of for the opposite to be true. Why couldn't another personality take over for good things to happen?

Every morning when I wake up I'm greeted by Drill Sergeant Dan who tells me that he doesn't care how I feel today and to get my butt out of bed and to the gym. And he's been tested. One morning I woke up whining, telling my husband, "I'm too tired. I just can't go to the gym!" To which my husband replied, "Are you sure?" He didn't say another word as I rolled over to go back to sleep. About a minute later I was out of the bed with a start grabbing for my shoes and socks. My husband asked what was going on and I informed him that he could NOT cave like that. If I was going to make some changes, I needed him to stay strong for me. But that wasn't fair to him and quite frankly was not true. I have my own personal Drill Sergeant and things have definitely changed over the past 8 months.

Please don't get me wrong, unlike someone with REAL multiple personalities, I understand that it's really just me motivating myself to do what I know needs to be done, but if playing a character gets me to my goal... isn't that really what counts? There's something to be said for dressing the part. To get up in the morning and into camo workout gear really does change my whole attitude. Looking at that chocolate cake with a very stern, "Not Authorized!" yelling in my head works. Every night I sit down and create a plan for the next day. I create my menu and workout plan. My morning mantra every day is, "No thinking until Noon. Stick to the plan and execute. How you feel plays no part in executing the plan!" Now you want a split personality too don't you? I knew I'd change your mind! This would be classified as "mental" in my fundamental changes! LOL

Comments

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Christmas Give Away

Ok gang! This is my second post for the day, but I thought it was important to get this one started as soon as possible!!! For the upcoming Christmas season, I'm giving away THREE Disney Cricut cartridges. These cartridges were not donated to this blog, I purchased all of these cartridges to give away. My followers are THE BEST and I wanted to give away something really nice for the holiday season. This is only open to those who appear on this blog's follower list, so if you're not one of my beloved followers, please become one (and I'm almost to 400 woo hoo!!!). All you have to do to enter to win these super fun Disney cartridges is share this give away with others. You can post it on your blog, shout it out on Facebook and Twitter, post the announcement in a message community or do all of the above. Then, leave a comment on this post letting me know where you shared and an email address to contact you. This will be open until December 11th and I will post the winne...

Inking Pink Blog Hop

Hi Hoppers! Danielle, a.k.a. FitterTwit here.... so glad you made it!!! If you're mid-hop, you should be arriving here from Chelsea's blog . Was that a great project or what!?! If you're just joining us and need to start the hop from the beginning, you're gonna want to head over to our lovely Hop Hostess Patricia's blog to start the fun here on our VERY IMPORTANT Inking Pink Blog Hop! Here's to Breast Cancer Awareness!!! My project for this hop is a reminder card..."Remember your checkups!" What a wonderful way to say "I love you" to a dear friend or family member. Now you may not be able to see it in the pic above, but I altered The Greeting Farm's Ebony so that her tee shirt reads, "Say YES to Mammograms!" So, today I wanted to share HOW I added the words to her tee. First I printed the words as small as I could and still be able to read the message using my laser printer onto the paper that I would be using to color in my im...