Skip to main content

Christmas Ornaments... Sparkly!


Well, I got a special request from someone to post how I made my wonderful sparkly ornaments. So here you go folks, it's a snap.

I'll start with the pictured items you'll need for this project (click on pictures to enlarge).



  • Pledge Floor Finish with Future Shine
  • Craft Glass Ornaments
  • Fine Glitter
  • Mod Podge (optional)
  • Hot Glue w/Gun (optional)
  • Embellishments (optional)
  • Funnel (not pictured)
  • Bowl for trash/excess liquid (not pictured)

Carefully remove the metal top from the ornament. Don't pull too quickly or roughly as you can chip the glass. Squeeze about a tablespoon of the Pledge Floor Finish inside the ornament, cover the top with your thumb and gently shake until the entire inside of the globe has been covered with the floor finish. Empty excess floor finish into trash bowl. Place the funnel in the top of the ornament and pour another tablespoon of glitter into the ornament. Cover with your thumb again and shake until the entire inside of the ornament is covered in glitter and set (it's about 2-4 minutes of shaking). Replace the metal ornament cap. And you're done!

Now as you can see from the pictures, I added some embellishments. While the glitter ornaments are pretty on their own, the embellishments add a sweet and personal touch. I just bought some mini ornaments and ribbon. I also cut out the word "Joy" on a piece of thin cardstock/patterned paper on my Cricut. I used Mod Podge to "decoupage" the word "Joy" to the ornament. The wonderful thing about Mod Podge is that it goes on white and dries clear (and with a pretty sheen), it's also wet enough to saturate the paper word "Joy" so that it will mould to the ornament and be completely attached when it dries. After about an hour, I applied a second coat of Mod Podge and let the ornament dry over night. I then hot glued bows and embellishments to the metal tops of my ornaments. Super simple and beyond cute! Another wonderful idea is to use glass paints to decorate the ornaments (I love those metallic paints) as well as etching liquid.... just a couple more ideas. Have fun with this and Happy Holidays.

*** Thank you to Happy Happy Joy Joy from Christmas with the Cricut for your wonderful how-to video! You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTvq2GPkm9U

*** Also, you can a find a Gypsy cut file for this cute little box that I made that happens to fit this ornament perfectly HERE!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I saw the instruction or link to the instruction on the mb and another person's video. You took the ornament to a different level so I thank you kindly! I love the colors that you used for the ornament. Thanks again for all that you do!

Oh, the box is a clever idea to recycle the same file and for it to fit the ornament perfectly! You are spoiling us and I LOVE IT!!

Mercy!!!
FitterTwit said…
Mercy... you are too kind! But feel free to keep it coming! hahahahaha! LOL. Happy Happy Joy Joy's video ROCKED!
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Box, Purses, etc. post on Dec. 18, 2009. Thanks again.
ceebee said…
nothing like making your own ornaments.
Judy said…
wow! I like christmas ornament and box cut file. Come visit my blog.
Magoo said…
This so pretty! I NEVER get tired of seeing your work :) :)

if i were to use modge podge 'sparkle' (I think it's called that) would it work?

next year I'm going to cover my tree with those little beauties! thank you for the great tips :)
FitterTwit said…
OMGosh... you are sooo nice! I'm not familiar with Modge Podge Sparkle, but if it's like regular Mod Podge but with sparkle added, I would think that it would work the same. All the mod podge does is act as a clear glue that is used for decoupage mainly. Because it dries clear, it's great for this particular project. HTH.

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Christmas Give Away

Ok gang! This is my second post for the day, but I thought it was important to get this one started as soon as possible!!! For the upcoming Christmas season, I'm giving away THREE Disney Cricut cartridges. These cartridges were not donated to this blog, I purchased all of these cartridges to give away. My followers are THE BEST and I wanted to give away something really nice for the holiday season. This is only open to those who appear on this blog's follower list, so if you're not one of my beloved followers, please become one (and I'm almost to 400 woo hoo!!!). All you have to do to enter to win these super fun Disney cartridges is share this give away with others. You can post it on your blog, shout it out on Facebook and Twitter, post the announcement in a message community or do all of the above. Then, leave a comment on this post letting me know where you shared and an email address to contact you. This will be open until December 11th and I will post the winne...

Inking Pink Blog Hop

Hi Hoppers! Danielle, a.k.a. FitterTwit here.... so glad you made it!!! If you're mid-hop, you should be arriving here from Chelsea's blog . Was that a great project or what!?! If you're just joining us and need to start the hop from the beginning, you're gonna want to head over to our lovely Hop Hostess Patricia's blog to start the fun here on our VERY IMPORTANT Inking Pink Blog Hop! Here's to Breast Cancer Awareness!!! My project for this hop is a reminder card..."Remember your checkups!" What a wonderful way to say "I love you" to a dear friend or family member. Now you may not be able to see it in the pic above, but I altered The Greeting Farm's Ebony so that her tee shirt reads, "Say YES to Mammograms!" So, today I wanted to share HOW I added the words to her tee. First I printed the words as small as I could and still be able to read the message using my laser printer onto the paper that I would be using to color in my im...