Skip to main content

Goodbye and Hello

It has been a LONG time since I've suffered a loss that has shattered my heart to pieces, but I recently had to say goodbye to my 13 year old black lab baby.  His name was Sunny and he really was the light of my life.  We got him at the pound the day AFTER the pound neutered him at 5 weeks old!!!  Needless to say, 2 days after we brought him home, the vet bill was already a whopping $900.  Turns out that the surgery was quite difficult for him for two reasons:  1) he was way too young for it in the first place and 2) he had contracted valley fever from whatever environment he had come from.  These two variables culminated to him breathing vomit during his surgery and developing asphyxiated pneumonia.  The little cough that I noted while spending time with him at the pound developed into a VIOLENT cough over the next 48 hours.  After two weeks of treatments from the vet, dropping him off at the vet each morning and then taking him home each night with his IV left in his arm and taped up, we finally got past the worst of it.  Then we just had to treat the valley fever with medications that topped at $450/month for the first six months of his life with us.  Luckily, the cost of the medications he had to take plummeted a short time later and our monthly costs were WAY more tolerable at about $80/month.  Our final vet bill was pretty high, but luckily the vet was so moved by our story and so connected to Sunny, having spent so much time with him to get him through the worst of it, she gladly took payments to finally square away our bill.  Long story short, for Sunny's whole life we lovingly called him our 6 million dollar baby.  Honestly, we did tally up how much we spent on him at some point over the years and had reached (at that time) about $8000 for the $75 pound puppy.  That tally would go up though, 8 short years later when the onset of hip dysplacia began. We never concerned ourselves with how much we spent to keep Sunny with us as long as we could.  From the moment we met him, he was part of us.  At the very beginning, I remember hearing the vet tell us how lucky we were to have such a wonderful boy and that he was pulling through...he was strong.  Then, about a year later we found out that the vet didn't think he was going to make it back then.  Each day when she'd hand him over to us to care for him through the night she'd say he had a good day and was doing well, that was 100% her hopes (and I suspect), her prayers.  We always felt Sunny was worth EVERY penny we ever spent on him and that if we only got him for a couple of days or a couple of years, we would be better for it.  We could not have asked for a kinder, sweeter, more gentle addition to our family and I am grateful that God let us borrow him for the 13 years we got him.  Losing him has been an unbelievable loss that I'm not getting over easily.  But with my "Good-bye", now comes a "Hello" since my husband brought home an A.K.A. certified, purebred 6 week old monster.  We've had him going on 3 weeks, and while he is in NO WAY replacing our Sunny, he is DEFINITELY an adorable distraction.  Everyone.... meet Kodiak, lovingly called Hey (mainly because at the moment I need to correct him, my brain blocks and I can't remember his name, so "hey" is what always comes out.  Now the poor little guy comes to "hey")!

Comments

Aww, I'm so sorry for the loss of your doggie! Many (hugs). Your new puppy looks so sweet.
Noreen said…
I am sorry for your loss. I know how they can grab your heart and you never let go. Our greyhound passed away last year and still miss her dearly. We now have a chihuahua puppy and she is a handful. Even though she doesn't replace Cody, I am glad she is in our hearts and home.
Unknown said…
I expected to see a photo of "Hey" at the end of your story. Especially since you made me cry.
Queenie said…
I am sooooo sorry about the loss of your dear dog!!! He sounded like a precious little family member!! Google,
"Rainbow Bridge" It gives me comfort after we have lost pets.
Your new little buddy is precious!!! Here's to new memories with a new pooch!
april brooks said…
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think Hey is an excellent nick-name!
Marlene said…
So sorry about your first dog....that was sad, but it sounds like you are an incredible devoted pet lover, having stuck by him through all that.

Your new pup is adorable. My dog's name is Kodiak, also. We call him "Kodi" for short.

I don't understand why they let pups go so early, though. They really shouldn't be going to new homes until they're 8 weeks old.
Melanie said…
Oh Danielle...I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet dog. We have an 11 year old husky and three cats (almost 14, 12 1/2 and 6 years), and I know that it will be very difficult to say goodbye when that time comes. Sending you big hugs during this sad time.

(Your new little "distraction is very cute. My aunt and uncle once had a dog named Kodiak...love that name!)
Debra said…
Oh my gosh girl *huge hugs* I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. I am so glad you opened your heart to.."Hey" :) he looks really sweet and ready to be loved and give you a bunch. He is so lucky to have been adopted by you!
Oh what a lovely story D. Thank you for sharing. I know how hard it is having just gone through it all myself. Including the little monster called "Hey". We are coming up on a year and it makes me sad to think Apollo's been gone from us this long. Big hugs to you and Sunny was lucky too to have you:)
Anonymous said…
Goodbyes are always difficult, hello is always an adventure. Memories live on and there is nothing like a new puppy to mend a broken heart.
Audrey Frelx said…
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Sunny -- I know how it feels having lost a couple of my precious fur-babies! And it is so very difficult to say good-bye; however, Kodiak is just soooo adorable and I know the "monster" that he is will be such a comfort in helping to deal with the loss!

Kodiak is just too cute!!!

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Blog Hop

YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!  IT'S HERE!!!  Breaking Dawn pt. 2 opens today and we're kicking the fun off with a Twilight Breaking Dawn Blog Hop!!!!  You should be arriving from Kelli's blog.  Isn't her tag AWESOME!?!?!   If you're just now joining the hop, you WILL want to start the hop at the beginning... trust me, you don't want to miss anything from this group of talented ladies.  Here's the whole hop list: Alison Laura Rebecca Kelli ME<== You Are HERE!!! Sugar Stephanie And now for MY project.... BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY BLOG CANDY AT THE END!!! Here's my Twilighty keepsake box!!!  I had an absolute BLAST making this box and will be using it to hold all my pictures from Forks and La Push as well as pics from the various premiere parties I've attended/hosted over the years. This originally started out as a faux book box.  I painted the spine black using acrylic paint and covered the rest using paper from the DCWV Immortal Love

Feeling Empowered

Yep... I've FINALLY discovered the MAGIC that is the Google Calendar!!!  I had NO IDEA that it actually synced to my phone!!!!  FREEDOM!  SWEET FREEDOM! Now for those of you who are NOT schedulers, let me tell you why schedules are so important and why this discovery, in particular, is so empowering to me. Schedules free your mind - when you get your thoughts out of your head and placed into some kind of order (or plan) on paper, your brain is not taxed with the job of remembering. Plans allow you to reach your goals quickly and efficiently - a plan maps out the best course to get you from point A to point B.  For example:  you know that you have to meet Judy on the west side of town for lunch, then be on the east side to pick up paperwork at the office, west side again to pick up flowers at the florist and finally north to pick up dry cleaning.  Well, planning your day allows your brain to go on auto-pilot.  All it has to do is follow the plan once it is made.  And the