Skip to main content

Feng Shui Part 4

Wow, this ended up being a long blog series on Feng Shui. I didn't realize what a process I had been through.

I did want to finalize this whole thing with my previous mention of color and one's color palette. It is true that color affects our moods which is why it plays such an important role in Feng Shui and can actually make your home feel like you're on vacation at a 5 star resort. Easterners just found it out sooner than Westerners did! Hahahahaha! There's a surprise! But in figuring out how to decorate your home, where does one start? Let's head back to the notes in my notebook. I first researched colors and moods. Understanding what colors inspired what feelings was a major help for me. I then took a trip to a model home center to look around and check out pre-selected color palettes to see which ones made me feel the best. Model home centers (if you have one near you) are a great tool for this because they usually have counter/carpet/wood color packages already put together and coordinated so that builders can expedite semi custom home selections. If you don't have one near you, you can also check out websites devoted to interior design like this one! The important thing is to pick colors you love and colors that make you feel great! For me, I started with the color red. Red is not exactly my favorite color, but I learned that red is the color of excitement and passion, energy, vitality and power. I knew that I wanted that feeling throughout my home, so I knew that is the color I would start with. I realized that I didn't want a bright red as brights did not make me feel good, so I picked an earthy red and decided that red would be used to accent each of the rooms. Yep, red would be the color to tie my whole house together. Ahhhh the flow! Then for the rest of the house... since deep, rich, earth tones made me feel the very best, earthy it would be. Green is the color of nature and calm, so my bedroom would be a deep green. Brown is also the color of nature, warmth and calm, so all living spaces would be a beautiful earthy brown. Purple is the color of royalty and power, so because I have a seriously outrageous sense of humor, my guest bathroom would be purple. And that led to the kitchen being brown and purple (see pic above) and I was off and running! Man, do I love the colors in my home! Every room makes me feel amazing... like I'm on vacation every day! But it's not just because of color. There is power in the phrase, "out of sight, out of mind". Becoming a master of illusion when decorating helps to create that feeling of being at a resort as well.

The one thing that was only briefly mentioned in one of the resources that I scowered, was the dual function of design elements. But I discovered how important it was. The items you decorate your home with can serve as both decor and storage/hiding. For example, a chest that appears to simply hold pillows on a potshelf (see pic), actually holds holiday serving platters and holiday decorations hidden by decorative pillows. These are items that I only use once a year, so it's no big deal to pull out the ladder to get them at Christmas time. If you're looking for a piece of art to fill an empty space on the wall, look into getting the perfect size wall mounted curio cabinet. There are plenty that are very decorative to match the design of your home and can act as storage as well.

There is a lot to Feng Shui even beyond what people may or may not believe about it's power and energy flow. The simple truth that Feng Shui can clear the clutter of your home and ease your stress lends credit to the whole "chi" thing in my opinion. Well, here's to all our chi. May it be open and receptive. I hope this blog series did a good enough job explaining Feng Shui and I hope seeing how I applied it's principals helps someone else create a personal sanctuary in their home.

Comments

Past 7 Days....

My Favorite Things Birthday Give-Away!!!

IT IS ON! Ok... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! I get to give stuff away! And not just ANY stuff.... MY FAVORITE STUFF!!!! Well, not ALL my favorite stuff, but certainly my favorites for at least ONE of my obsessions: NAILS!!! Maybe next year for my birthday I will be giving away craft supplies and exercise equipment... that would be AWESOME!!! But, this year's birthday give-away is HUGE with my favorite nail and beauty products and is open to ALL my followers. You guys are the best and deserve the best, so here is what ONE lucky winner is going to score: The Prize Haul: Konad Nail Art Stamping Set - Coraline I (I am addicted to Konad and I LOVE this set) Konad Nail art image disc - M63 (A little something extra from Kathleen... thank you) Fragrance Oil Set, types: China Rain, White Linen, Obsession (I love these for my relaxing baths) Nail Aid Nail Treatment Set including: Pink Natural Growth Therapy, Instant Wrap, Clear Liquid Bandage, Cuticle Cure, Peeling Nail Intense Repai

Make It Crafty Blog Hop

Woo Hoo!!! Isn't this hop AMAZING!?! All the projects on this hop are incredible!!! If you are mid hop, you should be arriving here from Carisa's awesome blog, WELCOME! If you haven't started this hop from the beginning, you're definitely going to want to.... so many prizes in store!!! Click HERE to start at the beginning. Prizes Up For Grabs 1st prize - Rubber Collection (Peaches of Plenty, Petals and Palings, Daffodil Dell, Ivy Swing) 2nd prize - Whole Digital Collection (10 digital stamps) 3rd Prize - Four digital Stamps from the collection The hop will end Friday 24th and the main winners will be announced Christmas Day! Random winners will be announced at a later date. How To Play Along Along the way, look for puzzle pieces. They won’t be on every post so you need to keep an eye out for them. The puzzle pieces make up one of the NEW images. At the end of the hop there will be an email form where you can submit your answer. This is so that your answer is private.

THE Spectrum Noir Blog Hop You Don't Want To Miss!!!

Welcome to the very first Spectrum Noir Blog Hop EVER! And we are celebrating BIG TIME!!! Wait till you see what's up for grabs!!! Wait till you see all the amazing projects the design team put together for YOU!   If you are new to blog hops, simply visit each of the blogs below in the order shown and leave a comment on each designer's post finishing the hop at the Spectrum Noir Blog. Danielle Leann Angelique Linda Jennie Louise Kristine Marcea Taylor   Suzanne Cyndi Wendy Jacqui Spectrum Noir Blog When you arrive at the end, be sure to leave a comment on the Spectrum Noir  Blog telling us one fun new thing (tip, trick, interesting combination of colors, etc) you learned about the Spectrum Noir markers while hopping with us this week.  A random winner will be drawn using random.org at 9:00 AM GMT, Saturday, June 23, 2012 and posted at  Spectrum Noir .  The winner will have one week to claim their prize and will win a full set of 72 Basic Spectr