Skip to main content

Feng Shui Part 3

Ok, so I understood Feng Shui and I also realized that to put it into practice involved digging in and REALLY organizing. Everything needed to have a home, by that I mean no more mail piling up on the dining room table, no more clothes all over the floor, no more not being able to find the scissors because they were always put someplace different. No more clutter! All that might seem inconsequential, but it isn't. It's those little stresses that break you after having to keep it together for the big stuff during the day. It's all these little things that I believe are responsible for the saying, "you always hurt the one's you love". I think that we deal with very stressful situations with people we cannot possibly vent with and then come home to our family. The slightest stress ("why can I never find the scissors?!?") set us off. Instead of coming home with a load of stress to find the scissors exactly where you expected to find them and being able to let out that deep breath of satisfaction that SOMETHING went right today, we come home to more stress and disappointment because our chi is blocked with the clutter of our lives. I call that clutter "sight pollution". So here's where my notebook came in. In looking at all my furniture that was supporting and surrounded by all the piles of boxes, I realized that there were a few different kinds of "stuff". The first was the furniture or fixtures, I called it group A. The second was the "stuff" that went in or on the fixtures (group B) and the third was everything else (group C). Because I had so much of group B, I decided that I would start there. Like all the organizing resources had suggested, I made three piles for the group B: Keep, Throw Away and Donate. Once I established everything that I was going to keep (rule was that it had to have been used at least once in the past year), I had to decide where to keep it. Was it a keep-that-got-used-often, or was it a keep-that-got-used-once-that-year? The "stuff" that got used often found a convenient home in or on the furniture or a fixture (group A), the "stuff" that got used once a year got set aside. I did that with every room. If a piece of furniture was not going to work for my new organizational purposes, I kept a list in my notebook of replacement group A stuff that would work and spent the next 8 months saving and collecting these items.

Example: The new house was going to have a walk-in closet and the 2 dressers that we used to keep our clothes in were located in the bedroom. They were visual eyesores, were always overflowing and were also used as an entertainment unit for the TV and DVD player along with bedroom nic-nacs we kept. Realizing that these items just were not working (as clothes managed to get piled on top and hung on our bed posts) I got rid of the dressers, the nic-nacs and the foot board on the bed and replaced them with a closet organizer and an armoire. The armoire would be placed in the bedroom to hold the TV and DVD player ONLY. No more clothes in the bedroom. My bedroom would be a sanctuary. What you can't see in the pic is a 3 sectioned rolling clothes hamper under the cabinet on the bottom left. I dyed two of the hamper bags so that the dirty clothes would be color coordinated (white for whites, blue for colors, black for darks) by wash loads. This example was actually my first organizing project to get completed and will always be my shining glory as I've maintained a clothes-free, bedroom sanctuary for more than 5 years.

All of my keep-that-got-used-once-this-year stuff got listed on index cards and stored in garage storage bins. The number on the bin corresponded with the number on the card, that way I had a catalog for the items in the garage that could easily be found from the kitchen and retrieved within seconds as opposed to the MANY, MANY minutes in the past of rummaging through junk to find... well, let's say the scissors. You get my point!

Finally was group C. This was stuff like the TV remote control that didn't necessarily have a specific place to be but needed to have a temporary home when not in use. I purchased a holder that is placed on the side of the couch with pockets to hold the remotes, but concealed from line of sight. Another group C item was the aluminum foil. I ended up buying a rack to hold the aluminum foil, wax paper and ziplock bags and attaching the rack to the pantry door. Cupboard space was dedicated to kitchen appliances so they were out of sight when not in use and mail was gathered in a decorative file box with folders marked pay, paid, file and save. The pic at the top shows the view of my kitchen. The counters and table are kept clear most of the time.
Every detail that I wrote down in that notebook and worked out in my head over that 8 month period came to fruition and has been maintained ever since. I absolutely love the set up of my home, from color scheme to furniture to artwork. It all reflects the peaceful me and my family's style with that wonderful Feng Shui flare!

Comments

Past 7 Days....

The Old Clunker

A few years back I received a Creative Zen Micro Photo for Christmas. It was wonderful! The fact that I could finally carry around all my music in a super small (or I thought at the time)2.25" x 3.5" music player was sheer freedom from carrying around that old, large, portable cd player and I won't even go into the tons of music cds that also had to go along for the ride. Ok... so I'll mention them briefly, hahahahaha! And I was also surprised by how much lighter this music player was. At 5.5 oz., wearing it fashionably on an armstrap to the gym put me in the leagues with the top fitness buffs. Then something shifted... I was no longer hip, or in, or cool anymore. Suddenly everything shrunk and my music player was now a gigantic dinosaur! What the heck?!? Now everyone was sporting music players that were as big as the face of a watch and were a million times lighter than mine. All of a sudden I was back in the 7th grade trying to convince my mom to buy me the latest

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower

The Inventor Of the TV Dinner Should Be Slapped!

Close observation of my eating shows that I can scarf my tuna casserole at an alarming rate. I sit in front of the TV to eat my dinner and 5 minutes later I am pushing the plate away with little to no memory of ever have eaten. That is interesting to me because, you see, I LOVE FOOD! I also LOVE being thin. These facts SHOULD come to life by the knowledge that if I took smaller bites and chewed thoroughly , not only would I get to enjoy my food that much longer, but I would also be burning more calories (yes, the activity of chewing burns calories!!!!)! And on top of THAT amazing knowledge, my body would also be able to process the food I eat much better therefore more of the food I consume would be utilized to help build my lean mean body. So what the heck is up???? Why DON'T I slow down my eating knowing all these amazing benefits? What's causing this little glitch? Those are the very questions I asked myself at the start of this year. I knew the answer before I ever wrote th