Skip to main content

Wigging Out

Ok, so a couple of days ago I featured a dark fairy.... well, on special request, here's my "light" fairy!!! Scroll to the bottom for complete instructions on how to fix a cheap wig or keep reading on how I did this fun Halloween makeup on a budget.

So my makeup was done in purples and blues (Yeah baby... that's blue mascara!!!!  Hello, 1980's!) using colors from my new Day, Night, Play Palette Purse I just got from Ulta.  This thing is AWESOME and quite a find.  It's on sale right now, buy one get one half off.... just in time for Halloween dress up!!!  I actually used a coupon and got it for around $20, so it fit my quickly dwindling Halloween budget but made for quick work of putting this light fairy look together.  Check it out:
The purple you see on my lips is actually the same purple I used for the crease of my eye.  To create those purple lips, I simply scraped some of the purple shadow onto my counter top using a clean bobby pin, wet a lip color brush and picked up all the purple eyeshadow shavings.  I then applied the wet eyeshadow to my lined lips and topped it with glitter.  Note:  I keep Lysol Disinfecting Wipes handy for quick clean up of messes JUST like these!!!  Anyway, I also added glitter to my eyelids and lined my eyes with blue AND lavender eyeliner making sure to extend the lines (another great tip if you don't have complimentary fake eyelashes) at the corners.  I lined the water line with white eyeliner pencil and slapped on that awesome blue mascara and I was done!!!  This is really another one of those looks that is cheap, easy and can be done in a pinch.  BUT....

Check out that wig!!!  I LOVE THAT WIG!!!  Believe it or not, that purple and white wig is a wig that I picked up at my local grocery store for $6.00!!!  Here's what I did to make it my own!!!

  1. Buy a cheap-ass wig.
  2. Soak in hot tap water with 1 cap full of fabric softener for 30 minutes (DO NOT USE BOILING WATER!!!!  Cheap-ass wigs melt!)
  3. Drape the wig cap over the bathroom shower nozzle so that the hair of the wig hangs upside down to dry (this helps to give your wig volume)
  4. Once it's mostly dry (about 3 hours), put on wig and secure to your head using bobby pins
  5. Use a WIDE toothed comb to style and detangle
  6. OPTIONAL:  watch THIS video and follow instructions to cut and shape your new wig... How To Cut Your Own Hair
  7. Hairspray the crap out of your wig so it stays in place
While I've never used this video to cut my real hair (cuz I'm a chicken), I HAVE now cut two Halloween wigs and both of them turned out AWESOME!!!   What do you think... this purple and white one turn out pretty good?  Ok you guys.... go wig out!  8 Days Till Halloween!!!!

Comments

Have you shared those wig tips with Krista?? I bet she'd love to know them! You look AMAZING!!!!!
Lori Barnett said…
Thanks! I have a couple cheap-ass wigs that I need to fix up for a figure skating competition coming up. I need it to look like Olive Oyl hair. Gonna have to try your suggestions! Otherwise..I might come knockin' on your gate for help! lol!

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower

The Old Clunker

A few years back I received a Creative Zen Micro Photo for Christmas. It was wonderful! The fact that I could finally carry around all my music in a super small (or I thought at the time)2.25" x 3.5" music player was sheer freedom from carrying around that old, large, portable cd player and I won't even go into the tons of music cds that also had to go along for the ride. Ok... so I'll mention them briefly, hahahahaha! And I was also surprised by how much lighter this music player was. At 5.5 oz., wearing it fashionably on an armstrap to the gym put me in the leagues with the top fitness buffs. Then something shifted... I was no longer hip, or in, or cool anymore. Suddenly everything shrunk and my music player was now a gigantic dinosaur! What the heck?!? Now everyone was sporting music players that were as big as the face of a watch and were a million times lighter than mine. All of a sudden I was back in the 7th grade trying to convince my mom to buy me the latest

Make It Crafty Blog Hop

Woo Hoo!!! Isn't this hop AMAZING!?! All the projects on this hop are incredible!!! If you are mid hop, you should be arriving here from Carisa's awesome blog, WELCOME! If you haven't started this hop from the beginning, you're definitely going to want to.... so many prizes in store!!! Click HERE to start at the beginning. Prizes Up For Grabs 1st prize - Rubber Collection (Peaches of Plenty, Petals and Palings, Daffodil Dell, Ivy Swing) 2nd prize - Whole Digital Collection (10 digital stamps) 3rd Prize - Four digital Stamps from the collection The hop will end Friday 24th and the main winners will be announced Christmas Day! Random winners will be announced at a later date. How To Play Along Along the way, look for puzzle pieces. They won’t be on every post so you need to keep an eye out for them. The puzzle pieces make up one of the NEW images. At the end of the hop there will be an email form where you can submit your answer. This is so that your answer is private.