Skip to main content

The Proof Is In The Pudding

The whole Jillian Michaels craze, I'm gettin it. Jillian appeared on the Joy Behar show last night and I was charmed by Ms. Michaels to no end! While I'm not a big fan of Joy Behar, I happened to catch her show while flipping through the channels at the precise moment Joy said that she is interested in diet and exercise for her introduction to "Joy's Anatomy". That too is where my interests lie so the Joy Behar show is where I stayed. Ms. Michaels rocked. She did not over speak, she was articulate, humble and charming, tackling each of Joy's questions with an easy candor that has won me over. To be honest, I've always kind of been drawn to the drill sergeant in her.... I don't know why??? But last night I saw another facet of Jillian Michaels that I adore. Her honesty about her own workouts and the RESPECT she has for the hard work that the Biggest Loser contestants put in blew me away. And what kind of relationships is she cultivating??? Season 4 Biggest Loser contestant Bill Germanakos was quick to defend Ms. Michaels after she offhandedly dismissed her own workouts over that of the contestants. That says A LOT, about Ms. Michaels as a person, that such great loyalty is instilled with the people she trains. It reminds me of Proverbs 13:24 -"Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." Through Jillian's "tough love" with these contestants, she nurtures a very strong bond showing each and every one of them that she cares. I personally love it! But I want to get to Ms. Michaels' response to Joy's question about 2 pound-a-week weight loss being the guideline for healthy weight loss. Ms. Michaels' response was, "Who says that?.... The proof is in the pudding" referring to the Biggest Loser contestants losing 10, 12 or 15 pounds a week, being healthy and becoming athletes in some cases. Is that the pudding?

Yes, the contestants are medically supervised. Yes, they may be gaining immediate health, but the world is concerned with their ultimate health. How many contestants from first and second season have kept it off today? Because if the majority have put it back on then the pudding would actually not be proof at all. In most cases with this epidemic of obesity in America, the battle isn't taking it off, it's keeping it off. I'm reminded that I haven't actually SEEN this pudding. The Biggest Loser only shows people GETTING to their goal weight (in some cases getting BELOW a healthy weight) to win money. I want to know how many stay at a healthy weight for the long term.... THAT is where the pudding is at.

Side note: I just want to add that there IS proof that there are people who kept it off. Those are the people who are featured on air quite a bit. So there IS proof that the Biggest Loser has changed lives (even one life is a success). But for the rest of the contestants who haven't... how many are there and what exactly IS their health condition today? Did losing a HUGE amount of weight only to put it back on compromise anyone's health? Did anyone develop any life threatening conditions from hanging skin (as a result of quick weight loss)? Do the few Biggest Loser success stories represent the majority or minority of contestants? Show me the pudding (low cal fat free please)!!!!
PS. The pic posted is of the book that Jillian plugged on Joy's show. Once again, I TOTALLY love that she said health and fitness IS IN your diet!!! That is a VERY eastern way of thinking that I'm ABSOLUTELY on board with! "Let food be thy medicine and let thy medicine be thy food." ~ Aristotle. I'm sooooo getting this book! :)

Comments

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower

The Old Clunker

A few years back I received a Creative Zen Micro Photo for Christmas. It was wonderful! The fact that I could finally carry around all my music in a super small (or I thought at the time)2.25" x 3.5" music player was sheer freedom from carrying around that old, large, portable cd player and I won't even go into the tons of music cds that also had to go along for the ride. Ok... so I'll mention them briefly, hahahahaha! And I was also surprised by how much lighter this music player was. At 5.5 oz., wearing it fashionably on an armstrap to the gym put me in the leagues with the top fitness buffs. Then something shifted... I was no longer hip, or in, or cool anymore. Suddenly everything shrunk and my music player was now a gigantic dinosaur! What the heck?!? Now everyone was sporting music players that were as big as the face of a watch and were a million times lighter than mine. All of a sudden I was back in the 7th grade trying to convince my mom to buy me the latest

Make It Crafty Blog Hop

Woo Hoo!!! Isn't this hop AMAZING!?! All the projects on this hop are incredible!!! If you are mid hop, you should be arriving here from Carisa's awesome blog, WELCOME! If you haven't started this hop from the beginning, you're definitely going to want to.... so many prizes in store!!! Click HERE to start at the beginning. Prizes Up For Grabs 1st prize - Rubber Collection (Peaches of Plenty, Petals and Palings, Daffodil Dell, Ivy Swing) 2nd prize - Whole Digital Collection (10 digital stamps) 3rd Prize - Four digital Stamps from the collection The hop will end Friday 24th and the main winners will be announced Christmas Day! Random winners will be announced at a later date. How To Play Along Along the way, look for puzzle pieces. They won’t be on every post so you need to keep an eye out for them. The puzzle pieces make up one of the NEW images. At the end of the hop there will be an email form where you can submit your answer. This is so that your answer is private.