Skip to main content

A Girl and Her Toys

Yesterday I posted a blog with the recipe for my raw candied yams and mentioned slicing the yams. I forgot to put in the post that the fun little gadget that I used to make all my yam slices uniform was a "mandolin" slicer. So this got me thinking about all the gadgets in my kitchen that I use and LOVE. As I have posted in the past, I am a gadget girl and thought it would be fun to showcase some of my "must have" tools. Here are my top 10.

This is my #1: the mandolin slicer. Mine is an OXO V-Slicer. It is, in my opinion, the very best slicer on the market and the one I used to make my candied yams. It is easy to use, easy to clean (everything goes into the dishwasher) and easy to abuse. Basically, "it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". It will slice four different slice thicknesses as well as julienne and fry cuts. I literally cut an entire bag of yams in about 10 minutes. Seriously quick food prep.

And speaking of quick food prep, #2 is a food processor. My mother in law just gave me a Cuisinart 11 Cup processor and I LOVE it! I don't know how I ever lived without it. Thank you Ma! Of course, if you read my blog you know that I also LOVE the magic bullet, which is my #3, AND the makers of the magic bullet also came out with a food processor/juicer/high speed blender (check it out)! Speaking of blenders, # 4 is my Vitamix. This blender is the king of blenders! The motor is so powerful that it can cook... no joke, you can even make ice cream with it! Because of the powerful motor "pulverizing" whatever you put into it, whole fruit and vegetable smoothies come out perfectly with this machine. It even comes with a complete recipe book when you buy one. Impressive!

#5 on my list of kitchen favorites is relatively new, it's the Spirooli (pictured)! This gadget is really interesting in that it cuts things like zucchini and potatoes into pasta-like strings with two different string cuts and a wide curl cut. This one is just fun and again, takes seconds to use with clean up being a breeze.

My #6 is something that has become a very important part of my kitchen, but I'm not convinced that it really belongs in this "gadget" post.... Well, I'm gonna include it anyway! It's called a Nut Milk Bag. I use it to make almond milk as well as to sprout different grains. I had never even heard of it until last year when I began incorporating raw food into my diet. Once I got one (for around $5), it became one of the most used tools in my kitchen.

I can't talk about raw food without including my #7 gadget which is my food dehydrator. This thing is a necessity as well with raw food prep... remember my mock pumpkin pie??? So yummy!

#8 is my rice cooker. My rice cooker was a "cheap" rice cooker that I got on clearance from a store that was going out of business. I think I spent about $13 on it, but it turned out to be a treasure for my kitchen. There is nothing like throwing ingredients into a cooker, not having to monitor it, and returning to perfectly cooked rice every time. This thing is used at least twice a week and prepares brown rice and quinoa which are staples in my diet. It's also another time saving gadget as it came with two steamer racks. I throw some fresh veggies and left over chicken to re-heat onto the steamer racks that sit on top of the cooking rice for the last 15 minutes and I have an entire meal (healthy meal) in less than a half hour and dirtied one appliance. LOVE IT!

#9 is my flexible cutting mats. I got mine from IKEA for around $3 a piece. I bought four of them. They take up practically NO space to store, they are super light, and come in different colors so that I'm sure not to cut up veggies where I just cut up meat.

The last item on my top ten list is actually my superstar work horse. This gadget has saved me the most time and the most money. I have actually owned two of these over the years because the first one I owned got used till it broke. I have saved the very best for the very last. My #10 is my Food Saver. This little vacuum sealer gets used to vacuum seal large quantities of the staples I mentioned earlier so that I only have to cook once but have food for many meals. I also vacuum seal and freeze left overs right onto thick paper plates so that there is always a healthy "frozen dinner" in the freezer when I'm needing something quick to fix. Just recently I ate three year old Rosemary Chicken (thank goodness I have always dated my food saver bags) that was vacuum sealed and frozen; it tasted like I made it last week. It was one of those things that fell to the bottom of the freezer (stand up freezer). I wondered how it would really taste after all this time in storage, so I popped the unopened freezer bag into a pot of boiling water for ten minutes. It was surprisingly great! My husband kept an eye on me throughout the day though to make sure that I didn't get sick. Hahahahaha! Don't lie, you would have tried it too!!! I'm tellin you, it tasted great! This wonderful gadget is going to get even more work as I'm going to be fixing 30 meals in three days and freezing them. This should be tons of fun! And I bet I will be using every last one of these incredible gadgets for that project! LOL!

Comments

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower

The BEST Copic Storage

**** HUGE HALLOWEEN GIVE AWAY... CLICK HERE !!!!**** Ok, so I've done posts in the past about various Copic storage solutions, but I was given THE MOTHER of all storage ideas by my friends Jennie Black and Krista Koenig!!!   Let me share with you the construction of the storage box and then I'll finish this off with the BRILLIANT solution my husband came up with.... cuz I married a GENIUS!!! What you'll need to create the AWESOME storage box pictured here is: 1 Double Deep Art Bin 1 plastic grid for ceiling lighting (found at your local home improvement store) 1 half inch thick wooden square dowel (also found at your local home improvement store) Dimensional adhesive squares Wire cutters or sheers Screws with corresponding drill bit Drill So I first cut the ceiling grid down to 19 squares by 19 squares using my wire cutters.   You will need two 19 x 19 sections of grid material.   The wire cutters went through the plastic material of the grid like butter and I

Velcome To The Little Hop of HORRORS!!!

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So I tried to make the title sound really spooky and ran out of room to include my evil laugh... hahaha! WELCOME HOPPERS! Are you thoroughly spooked and amazed? I know I am! You already know that today is the start of our Halloween celebration with a blog hop organized by my good friend Nicole of Canadian Nickel Scrap'n . If you're currently hopping, you should be arriving here from the Fabulous Eulanda's blog ... wasn't that Caramel Corn Box AWESOME?!? If you haven't arrived from Eulanda's blog and are just now joining us, hop to the bottom of this post for details on how the blog hop works. And now for my scary good fun before you head over to Gloria's blog on the next stop of this hop. Today I've got the "Welcome" sign that I will be hanging in my foyer this Halloween. I used my Simple Frame Gypsy cut file as well as the pumpkins and faces from the Pumpkin Carvings Seasonal Cricut Cartridge (just like the one I will be g