Skip to main content

When "I Love You" Doesn't Translate

Too often we say "I love you" with food.  For some time I've been trying to break that nasty habit in my household, but this way of expressing "I love you" is something that has been done to me, and I've done to other people, for my entire life.  And is it just me, or does EVERY celebration have to revolve around food???  Tonight I am committing to ending this behavior once and for all.  The trick is figuring out how to quit associating food gifting with love giving.  Here's a great example:

Once, my husband brought me home a banana split... smiling from ear to ear.  I PANICKED!  For a split (pardon the pun) second I FREAKED OUT in my head thinking, "I've eaten a perfectly clean diet all week.  I'm in the home stretch.  WHY would he do this to me?  Can I REALLY turn down a banana split?  Will I hurt his feelings by turning it down?"  I honestly went through a pretty manic minute and half before asking him, "why did you buy me a banana split?"  He understood right away where the conversation was going, "I don't know" he said.  To which I responded, "Get rid of it."

Thinking back I WISH I would have responded with, "I do.  You were trying to tell me you love me.  But banana splits no longer express that.  I love to hear you say 'I love you' far more than I love eating banana splits.  Unfortunately, I'm associating banana splits with feeling bad and unhealthy."  I think if I had not been so panicked and told him the truth of the matter instead of just reacting, the night wouldn't have ended with me going to bed feeling guilty and my husband sitting in front of the TV eating a banana split and, I imagine, feeling rejected. 

I'm hoping that sharing this with everyone will help someone else deal with those moments when you feel you just CAN'T say "no thank you".  It's hard, but honesty really is the best policy.  I guess the key to this particular puzzle is just not to panic.  And more importantly, I'm hoping this might inspire others to commit to changing those crazy food associations.  Why do we meet everyone for coffee or lunch?  Why don't we meet friends for a walk in the park or a class at the gym?  I think this year I'm requesting a Frisbee tournament birthday party with build-your-own salads instead of cake.... any thoughts???

Comments

Hmmmmm.... I think my Mom is the only one that does that to me ... she knows I love Mallo Cups and if she sees them, she buys them for me! LOL!! Brian knows that he can tell me he loves me by taking me to the scrappy store! LOL!!!

Past 7 Days....

My Favorite Things Birthday Give-Away!!!

IT IS ON! Ok... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! I get to give stuff away! And not just ANY stuff.... MY FAVORITE STUFF!!!! Well, not ALL my favorite stuff, but certainly my favorites for at least ONE of my obsessions: NAILS!!! Maybe next year for my birthday I will be giving away craft supplies and exercise equipment... that would be AWESOME!!! But, this year's birthday give-away is HUGE with my favorite nail and beauty products and is open to ALL my followers. You guys are the best and deserve the best, so here is what ONE lucky winner is going to score: The Prize Haul: Konad Nail Art Stamping Set - Coraline I (I am addicted to Konad and I LOVE this set) Konad Nail art image disc - M63 (A little something extra from Kathleen... thank you) Fragrance Oil Set, types: China Rain, White Linen, Obsession (I love these for my relaxing baths) Nail Aid Nail Treatment Set including: Pink Natural Growth Therapy, Instant Wrap, Clear Liquid Bandage, Cuticle Cure, Peeling Nail Intense Repai...

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower...

Back In The Saddle

Well, here I am! Back after a hard couple of weeks, but I'm thrilled to have such an AWESOME crafty diversion (I REALLY needed it too)! So Make It Colourful is running a pretty cool challenge this week to create a monochromatic/vintage/photo project, click HERE to check out the details for the challenge and to see what the rest of the design team turned out (the projects are AMAZING!!!). My project has that dreamy, Victorian feel to it featuring The Greeting Farm's Freaky Flutter digi as well as Make It Crafty's Open Window digi . For those who do not know, Make It Crafty's blog has THE BEST tutorials! To see how to layer two digis (like the two I'm featuring here), check out Make It Crafty's How To Use Your Make it Crafty Digital Stamps in MS Word video tutorial. For this project I also mixed the neutral, warm and cool grey Copic Markers... I've never done THAT before! I thought it ended up being a pretty neat effect. Everywhere I envisioned there would...