Skip to main content

Good Eggs

Well.... yesterday was THE BEST DAY EVER!!!  Not only did I score AMAZING card kits from Dove Art Studio's class yesterday, but I also got to hang out with some of my favorite people!!!  Now, truth be told, I spent just about the entire day (off and on) coloring the images you see pictured.   I don't typically spend that kind of time coloring three cards, but I was working on coloring the standard "Copic" method of coloring and it was HARD for me to change up my order of application, pressure, etc.  It was almost like I was a beginner all over again!!!  I really got a taste of what my coloring students go through. 

So....here are three things to keep in mind when you sit down to color with alcohol ink markers:

1.  Know YOUR mechanics and the mechanics of the pens.  Alcohol ink is like no other medium I can think of.  The blendability of this ink is AWESOME but if you try too hard, you will not get the best these markers have to give.  That means learning and practicing key things... when to apply light pressure, when to apply harder pressure and at what angle to the paper to keep your marker nib for various strokes.

2.  Swatch your colors.  Picking your colors is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of enjoyable coloring with alcohol ink.  For example, you pick three greens (light, medium and dark) that don't blend well together, you are going to be working very hard, not getting the desired result, wasting ink and overall not having a very fun time coloring.  Also, BECAUSE of our own mechanics and how we hold our pens, the amount of pressure we apply when coloring, etc. certain colors won't blend for us like they do for others.  That is perfectly fine... there are so many wonderful colors to choose from that taking the few extra seconds to swatch your colors (making sure they blend well beforehand) will save you all that time and frustration in the end and make your time coloring fun and relaxing.  All alcohol ink markers (that I know of) group their markers into "blending groups" or "families" which are subcategories for the various colors.  That certainly helps when picking colors to color with, so if you don't know what greens you need, just ask an instructor or customer service at your local art store.

3.  When you practice, pick images you really like when you color!  I ADORE these "Antics" Dustin Pike images!!!  The whole time I was coloring these oh-so-cute ants, no matter how frustrated I got with myself, I always came back to the image and smiled.  It also helped that all the ladies I hung out with yesterday ALSO went gaga for them.  That kind of excitement is certainly infectious and created a definite interest by on-lookers which motivated me to get these cards done.  Yep, liking your subject matter makes a difference.

Well, that about does it.  I think I'm about ready for a nap (I was coloring until 1 a.m.).  Thanks to Jenn and to Vanessa and JoDean.... you guys made yesterday SOOOO AWESOME.  You are good eggs.  LOL!

P.S.  Deb and Patti, I'm so sorry that I didn't get more time to chat with you guys.... it was SOOOOO great seeing you and I plan on bumping into you more at Stamp Works for the Saturday make n' takes!!!

Comments

Those cards are CUTEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Glad you had fun!
franzesjoi said…
il keep this on my mind*** haven't tried to colour on my entire craft life... :) you make me love the antss.. sooo adorable...
Audrey Frelx said…
Love your cards, they are adorable!

Thanks for the alcohol ink marker tips!
These came out so good! Your coloring is truly amazing!
Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

Past 7 Days....

My Favorite Things Birthday Give-Away!!!

IT IS ON! Ok... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! I get to give stuff away! And not just ANY stuff.... MY FAVORITE STUFF!!!! Well, not ALL my favorite stuff, but certainly my favorites for at least ONE of my obsessions: NAILS!!! Maybe next year for my birthday I will be giving away craft supplies and exercise equipment... that would be AWESOME!!! But, this year's birthday give-away is HUGE with my favorite nail and beauty products and is open to ALL my followers. You guys are the best and deserve the best, so here is what ONE lucky winner is going to score: The Prize Haul: Konad Nail Art Stamping Set - Coraline I (I am addicted to Konad and I LOVE this set) Konad Nail art image disc - M63 (A little something extra from Kathleen... thank you) Fragrance Oil Set, types: China Rain, White Linen, Obsession (I love these for my relaxing baths) Nail Aid Nail Treatment Set including: Pink Natural Growth Therapy, Instant Wrap, Clear Liquid Bandage, Cuticle Cure, Peeling Nail Intense Repai

Make It Crafty Blog Hop

Woo Hoo!!! Isn't this hop AMAZING!?! All the projects on this hop are incredible!!! If you are mid hop, you should be arriving here from Carisa's awesome blog, WELCOME! If you haven't started this hop from the beginning, you're definitely going to want to.... so many prizes in store!!! Click HERE to start at the beginning. Prizes Up For Grabs 1st prize - Rubber Collection (Peaches of Plenty, Petals and Palings, Daffodil Dell, Ivy Swing) 2nd prize - Whole Digital Collection (10 digital stamps) 3rd Prize - Four digital Stamps from the collection The hop will end Friday 24th and the main winners will be announced Christmas Day! Random winners will be announced at a later date. How To Play Along Along the way, look for puzzle pieces. They won’t be on every post so you need to keep an eye out for them. The puzzle pieces make up one of the NEW images. At the end of the hop there will be an email form where you can submit your answer. This is so that your answer is private.

THE Spectrum Noir Blog Hop You Don't Want To Miss!!!

Welcome to the very first Spectrum Noir Blog Hop EVER! And we are celebrating BIG TIME!!! Wait till you see what's up for grabs!!! Wait till you see all the amazing projects the design team put together for YOU!   If you are new to blog hops, simply visit each of the blogs below in the order shown and leave a comment on each designer's post finishing the hop at the Spectrum Noir Blog. Danielle Leann Angelique Linda Jennie Louise Kristine Marcea Taylor   Suzanne Cyndi Wendy Jacqui Spectrum Noir Blog When you arrive at the end, be sure to leave a comment on the Spectrum Noir  Blog telling us one fun new thing (tip, trick, interesting combination of colors, etc) you learned about the Spectrum Noir markers while hopping with us this week.  A random winner will be drawn using random.org at 9:00 AM GMT, Saturday, June 23, 2012 and posted at  Spectrum Noir .  The winner will have one week to claim their prize and will win a full set of 72 Basic Spectr