Skip to main content

Draw AND Cut An Image With Your WONDERFUL Cricut

Today I would like to walk you through my adventure to draw and cut the ice cream cone on this card using only my Cricut Expression. But first, I would like to say "Thank you" to Provocraft and the moderators of the Cricut message board for deleting my request for assistance with gel pens from their board. I appreciate the lack of customer service that goes into just about every issue I have had with Provocraft products inspiring me to solve problems on my own and create much more than solutions, but works of art. I would like to believe THAT is the reason that Provocraft neglects me as a customer... not because they are greedy and require that ONLY their products be discussed on the message board while failing to establish cooperative relationships with companies that work to improve upon their products... no, let's believe it's because they are trying to inspire our greatness through poor business practices and that their bottom line is not their only concern. And in no way does the fact that they produce the only product of its kind, have anything to do with their lack of service... nope, in the name of ART, I am believing that I would be treated the EXACT same way if Provocraft had competition (i.e. non-computer based electronic die cutting system). I COULD believe that!!! ;) So thank you Provocraft for being a horrible company with the best product and making me a better artist because of it.
NOW, here's what I discovered about using the gel pens: I have two gel pen holders, also called a gel pen housing. They look very similar to the blade housing in my Cricut Expression but hold mini gel pens that I got at Staples and mini gel pens I got from Cri-Kits.com. So the project for today was figuring out how to draw with those pens, but then go back and cut the image out without cutting any part of the drawn image. I chose the Indie Art cartridge to use today because I LOVE the images on this cartridge and none of the images are really detailed. I figured I needed to keep things as simple as possible since Provocraft/Cricut told me in no uncertain terms that they would not be of any help to me. So I chose the ice cream cone and the skull images. I figured out VERY quickly that drawing the image with the gel pen, and simply cutting it out isn't so simple. The technique I'm describing below is ONLY for a drawn shape that you want to cut out in the shadow feature. Cutting the blackout of a drawn image, while MUCH simpler, doesn't really work with gel pens because the blade just follows the exterior gel drawn lines. The reason that the blackout cut works so well with the Cricut markers (BTW... did I mention that technique is MUCH simpler?) is because the markers draw a thick line while the blade cuts a thin line so the ink is still visible on your work when you're done. But let me show you how to cut an image you drew with gel pens....

I first drew the ice cream cone with black gel pen. The pic here shows the lines that are drawn with the gel pen and then the line that was cut when I cut the same image with the "Shadow" feature depressed. You can see that the shadow cone is slightly larger than the gel pen drawn cone next to it. My directions to cut a shadowed image drawn with a gel pen are for 1.5" images and 3" images (since those were the two sizes I worked on today. Other sizes will require a little trial and error for step 2, see below). Click on pics to enlarge.
Step 1: On your Cricut, exchange the blade housing with the pen housing loaded with your favorite pen per the manufacturer's instructions for the pen housing. Once the pen housing is in place, carefully load your paper. For this technique, make sure your paper is in the top right corner of your mat.
Step 2 for 1.5" image: hit the left arrow on your Cricut directional keys once.
Step 2 for 3" image: hit the left arrow on your Cricut directional keys once and the down arrow twice.
Step 3: Select your image and draw per the manufacturer's instructions for pen housing use. Typically this will require that you lower the speed and pressure on your Cricut. When drawing is complete, DO NOT UNLOAD YOUR MAT.
Step 4: Carefully change the pen housing to the blade housing and depress the "load paper" button again. A sticky note can be used to cover your work while you remove the pen housing so that your image is not accidentally marked with the pen. The sticky note can then be removed before you insert the blade housing. Since the mat is still in the machine, the blade will now return to the top right corner of the mat after you hit the load paper button. Make sure that your speed and pressure are returned to the desired settings for cutting your image.
Step 5: Select the "Shadow" feature for the image you drew and hit cut. You're done. Here's what mine looked like....
I hope this explanation helps everyone else with their Cricut Gel Pen Projects, cuz you won't find help from Cricut.com or Provocraft.


Comments

Cris said…
Love this post! I have ordered a pen holder and am excited to get it and play with it! Your post made me laugh though as I was just censored yesterday by PC for asking about the pen holders on their msg board! I couldn't believe they deleted me just for asking....
Love this post. Your post was so hilarious to read.. :)
FitterTwit said…
Thanx you guys... I've gotten that a lot!!! I'm USUALLY funny by accident! hahahahaha!

Past 7 Days....

MY VERY FIRST CRICUT CARTRIDGE GIVE AWAY!

Ok ... so the time has come. I've got some BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, STILL IN THE PLASTIC Cricut Cartridges to give away over the next couple of months and it starts with one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES...... Hannah Montana! YAY! I LOVE this cartridge! It's got the most beautiful guitar images along with musical notes and FIVE fonts! I used the regular font and the rock star font to create my Father's Day card this year (see above). I also used the Hannah Montana cart (see below) to create a beautiful butterfly (FREE Gypsy cut file HERE ), and am currently working on a project using the gorgeous solitaire diamond. There's a rose and lips and decorative hearts, even a Pegasus ! There's just so much on this cartridge.... I use it a lot! To call this a "font" cartridge is terribly misleading. It's been a long time favorite and now I'm THRILLED to be able to give it away to one of my awesome readers! So here's how to win: Become one of my follower

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Blog Hop

YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!  IT'S HERE!!!  Breaking Dawn pt. 2 opens today and we're kicking the fun off with a Twilight Breaking Dawn Blog Hop!!!!  You should be arriving from Kelli's blog.  Isn't her tag AWESOME!?!?!   If you're just now joining the hop, you WILL want to start the hop at the beginning... trust me, you don't want to miss anything from this group of talented ladies.  Here's the whole hop list: Alison Laura Rebecca Kelli ME<== You Are HERE!!! Sugar Stephanie And now for MY project.... BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY BLOG CANDY AT THE END!!! Here's my Twilighty keepsake box!!!  I had an absolute BLAST making this box and will be using it to hold all my pictures from Forks and La Push as well as pics from the various premiere parties I've attended/hosted over the years. This originally started out as a faux book box.  I painted the spine black using acrylic paint and covered the rest using paper from the DCWV Immortal Love

The Inventor Of the TV Dinner Should Be Slapped!

Close observation of my eating shows that I can scarf my tuna casserole at an alarming rate. I sit in front of the TV to eat my dinner and 5 minutes later I am pushing the plate away with little to no memory of ever have eaten. That is interesting to me because, you see, I LOVE FOOD! I also LOVE being thin. These facts SHOULD come to life by the knowledge that if I took smaller bites and chewed thoroughly , not only would I get to enjoy my food that much longer, but I would also be burning more calories (yes, the activity of chewing burns calories!!!!)! And on top of THAT amazing knowledge, my body would also be able to process the food I eat much better therefore more of the food I consume would be utilized to help build my lean mean body. So what the heck is up???? Why DON'T I slow down my eating knowing all these amazing benefits? What's causing this little glitch? Those are the very questions I asked myself at the start of this year. I knew the answer before I ever wrote th